Participation of staff of the United Nations in the young professionals programme
Staff members of the United Nations in the General Service and related staff categories, as well as in the Field Service category, are given the opportunity to participate in the young professionals programme examination for recruitment into the Professional category. This is a way of recognizing talent and excellence in the Organization by reserving entry level professional posts for staff members who pass the competitive examination.
The examination is the exact same examination and is given in the same manner as the YPP examination for external candidates.
- Do you hold at least a first-level university degree?
- Are you 32 or younger by the end of this year?
- Do you speak either English and/or French fluently?
- Are you a national of a participating country?
If you meet the criteria above, you can apply to participate in the young professionals programme as an external candidate.
If you are a staff member of the United Nations in the General Service and related staff categories, or a staff member in the Field Service category, and do not meet the criteria above, you can still participate in the examination if you meet the following criteria:
- Do you have five years of continuous service in the Secretariat?
- Do you have fully successful performance in the last two performance appraisals?
- Do you have a United Nations appointment valid until at least six months after the date of the examination?
- Do you meet the minimum educational criteria for the job family you are interested in applying for?
Successful staff will be placed in a professional position at the P-1 or P-2 level, depending on their qualifications and will work in different offices in various functions contributing to the goals of the Organization.
Competitive examinations for recruitment and placement in posts requiring specific language skills in the Professional category are administered separately, and are not included in this examination.
Please also refer to icons at the bottom of the page for additional information on the examination.
Meet a few staff members who have passed the examination: