This position will be temporarily vacant for a period of four months. This post is located in the Information and Communications Technologies Section (ICTS), Division of Administration. The Information Technology and Communication Assistant reports to the Head of the Infrastructure Unit.
The Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean is one of the five regional Commissions of the United Nations. It was founded in 1948 with the purpose of contributing to the region's economic and social development. Its mission includes the design, monitoring and evaluation of public policies and the provision of advisory services, expertise and training to Governments, as well as support for regional and international cooperation and coordination activities. Please visit our website at www.eclac.org for further information.
Under the supervision of the Head of the Infrastructure Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Manage, administer and configure network components including, but not limited to, switches, routers, wireless network
• Manage, administer and configure Data Center infrastructure components and services including, but not limited to, Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), network and data fabrics, copper and fiber-optic cabling.
• Manage and administer structured cabling system within ECLAC campus and between UN offices.
• Support and troubleshoot Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), and Internet services.
• Manage, administer and configure IP Telephony system and videoconference equipment.
• Manage and administer network hardware inventory.
• Liaise with vendors for replacement of equipment and troubleshooting.
• Implement network security services, including firewall management activities.
• Manage, administer and configure Linux-based network core services such as DNS and DHCP.
• Establish network by evaluating network performance issues including availability, utilization, throughput, and latency.
• Perform troubleshooting on network services, escalate as necessary.
• Planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment.
• Contribute in defining network policies and procedures; establishing connections and firewalls.
• Monitor network and application performance.
• Evaluate technical offers and guide and supervise external consultants and contractors.
• Liaise with ICT technicians in OICT (Office of Information Technology) at UNHQ and other IT sections at UN offices to coordinate/corporate for implementation of global projects.
• Provide technical assistance at high-level conferences.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of information technology and applications, including computer system hardware and networks. Good technical skills, ability to conduct network maintenance, provide server operations services and full range of project preparation, management and coordination. Capable to independently handle a wide range of project activities and project related
follow-up actions. Demonstrates initiative in the identification and resolution of technical and procedural problems, and can effectively handle unforeseen situations. Demonstrated leadership and team-building skills. Capacity to consistently apply appropriate policies, guidelines, and procedures. Interacts effectively and in timely manner with colleagues and clients. Shows
pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental courses/technical certifications in information technology or other related fields are desirable.
At least seven years of relevant working experience in Information Technology field or related area is required. Practical experience with cabling standards, WAN protocols, TCP/IP, Cisco network components, firewall, and Voice over IP (VoIP) is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, advanced knowledge of Spanish is required. Intermediate knowledge of English is desirable.
Applicants will be assessed based on the information provided in their PHPs. Short-listed applicants might be contacted by the Hiring Manager for further assessment.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.